I can’t believe it has already been a week since my big fashion show. I’m excited to see all those professional pictures come back from the lovely photographers.
Today I’m going to write about the 1970s replica I made as my 3rd Solids Challenge of 2016. (using solid materials will clearly show craftsmanship as well as any imperfections and force me to get creative)
Sorry, all of you vintage lovers, I cut the original dress up to make the new one. The good news is I can make as many new dresses as I want with the old dress. For the fabric I used a vintage black 2 sided material, one side was ultra suede and the other side satin. This gave my dress such a great structured look.
Next I pinned it up and made sure everything looked machine ready. Of course there was some major problem solving involved before this.
The dress needed at the least 5 yards of fabric and I had 2 1/2 yards. To solve this problem I made a huge godet in the back out of the waistline scraps and put them on the contrast ultra shade side. I used every scrap to make this garment.
Next is the scariest part, I mark my hemlines and check for fit. I have figured out how to mark my own hemlines, but this is an entire other post. If you see me out ask me how I do it. I would be so happy to talk about what I love with you.
As for the fit, the original was a great fit so I knew I was in the ball park before construction. Good thing I nailed it!
The butterfly was fun to make and design. I spent hours online looking up art deco and art nouveau butterflies. I saw so many beautiful images.
It took me a while to get the butterfly how I wanted it. The wings were quite the challenge, point them up or point them down. I went with pointed down.
Serrated scissors were the best thing for this project. The last thing to do was cut away the chiffon that I basted to each butterfly piece so that you could see the work a little better.
Thank you Stephanie Baker for the amazing pictures of fellow designer Amber Walker in my Goth Fairytale Wedding Dress.