I wanted a flapper fringe dress and Hancock Fabric closing was my perfect opportunity. Long fringe usually sells for $9.99 a yard and I needed 7-9 yards for a dress. This dresses could cost over $150 in just supplies.
Sad Hancock Fabric is closing, very happy to be able to buy everything for this dress for under $60. Did you know I worked there for 8 seasons? I learned a lot hands on about garment construction and got my feet wet for co owning a indie fabric shop. Sad too my shop Sew Dayton is closing too, more info at the bottom.
Back to the dress! Next to figure out a dress design. No zipper, it will get stuck in the fringe, it needed to loose and pull over. Most flapper dresses are flat so that made my job a LOT easier.
I made two flat pieces with a wide neck hole and very loose. Then I sewed only one side together leaving the rest open. It is much easier to sew a flat area than around a circle.
Fringe is really a pain in the neck to sew on. Here a re a few tips.
- Do not remove the plastic holding it’s ends together at the bottom until all of it is sewn on. Fringe is shifty and it can easily get sewn under your next row.
- Only pin on one row at a time. Other rows of fringe will get stick in your pins and you will spend a lot of unnecessary time picking and separating the rows.
- To make straight lines start at the top of your dress, sew your first line on and then make sure the next row is pinned just under your first sewn row of fringe. No measuring although I did mark chalk lines on the open side so when I sewed up my last side seam everything matched.
- If you have narrow zipper foot it works great because it has nothing for the fringe to get stuck on.
The cool thing about the dress is it is so much fun to wear.[KGVID]https://www.tracyssewingstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_7332.m4v[/KGVID]
Professional photos by Sarah Babcock Studio and modeling is Amber Walker.
Behind the scenes~
Most have heard that Sew Dayton will be closing August 16th, it is true. Jesy and I will be on to new ventures and working separately.
My new business Tracy’s Sewing Studio LLC will be focusing on custom work and teaching out and about around the Dayton area.
This dress and many others are for sale in my etsy shop.
Thank you for reading!
Latest posts by Tracy McElfresh (see all)
- The Keys to Defining Success - November 19, 2018
- Sewing Efficiently in Sewing Tips in Under a Minute w/ Tracy McElfresh - November 14, 2018
- The Arts Meet Education w/ Lindsey Gustafson - November 11, 2018