I’ve had this Simplicity pattern with the carrot pockets to the far right on my to do list for 6 years. I get it out, lay it all out, press it out, study it and then put it back in it’s cover. I’m not sure if it was because I wasn’t up for the challenge or I never had the right fabric combo. Last spring I made this gardening dress happen.
My first concern is that it would look like a maids cleaning uniform.
I used appliqué for the carrots on the pockets. The pattern was missing the transfer for the carrots so I got to draw them on my own. I used grosgrain ribbon to make the carrot stems. That part was a lot of playful fun.
But the best part of these projects is the hunt to find matching notions. I found vintage bias tape in my stash and I went to Joann for the matching buttons.
For the fabric I used a nice baby blue linen for the base of the dress. My second concern was the pockets and the collar would blend right into the rest of the blue dress so I outlined each one in orange bias tape. This required a lot of eye balling and pinning.
This is what my sewing room looks like in the middle of making a dress. I’m a firm believer in having the fun first and clean up later!
Before I completely put together a dress I put it on my dress form and make sure details are correct. This doesn’t always happen though. You can see in this approved photo the carrots face the center of the dress. In the finished dress they point away. There is always room for humility.
Behind the Scenes~
It’s been 3 weeks since we shut down Sew Dayton. Folio Design Haus has my online storefront coming together nicely. They were kind enough to rework my logo and soon they will be transferring all of my 91 blog posts to my new site.
Thank for reading!
Latest posts by Tracy McElfresh (see all)
- Butterfly Dress: The Making and Display at Rosewood Art Center - December 11, 2017
- Sweater Knit Round Up and Tips to Ease the Fear - December 4, 2017
- Help! I Need a Purple Something, Shirt, Dress Hack! - November 27, 2017