This year I completed over 200 formal hemlines. With the lining most have about 9-12 yards of length. You would be blown away if you knew how many of these have gone to waste in the past! No more!

This year I started collecting these multicolored scraps and got a game plan together for what I could create with these bits of chiffon, lace and tulle strips.

I went deep into my research online. I found tutorials for scrap yarns, called “Fairy Scarves.” I found a few tutorials for quilter’s cottons, but that wasn’t really what I had. One of my favorite magazines, Threads, has a great tutorial for dress scraps but it looked to be a bit much time wise.

I liked the no knit, yarn scrap idea that used water soluble interfacing but I really didn’t want to buy more stuff. This was supposed to be a trash to treasure project.

So for my first round I tried the knotted scarf.

The first attempt was a huge failure. It turned into a big knotted mess and was not the look I was going for at all.

Attempt number two was to braid the strips. I didn’t like it either. The fibers were too messy and it all knotted up again.

I wanted to get back to the scarf idea so I searched if there was an everyday household product I could use instead of buying the interfacing. I found a few sites that said coffee filters work but only for smaller projects like embroidery. At this point I put the project off and decided I would consider buying the water soluble interfacing.

I broke. I ended up buying the 541 Wash-N-Gone Stabilizer. This water soluble interfacing is enough for two scarves at $5 a package.

I would take everything I learned from all of the tutorials and put them all together with an eye toward the scarf and see what happened.

I sandwiched the scraps and the yarn in between the interfacing and then pinned the sides and middle. I used my walking foot, a small needle and crazy stitched all over the material.

I sewed across using the back stitch button to sew backwards.

Then, just to make sure I had it all together I sewed vertically down the length. I used any thread I had. As the first two scarves became reality the rest went quickly.

I enjoyed not worrying about anything being perfect, nice or neat and just had fun. (no worrying about fit)

The interfacing seemed to wash away as soapy bubbles. I only washed once but soon found they needed a second hand-washing after they dried. They were incredibly stiff like cardboard.

After a second wash I drip dried them over the sink like this.

If I were to do it all again I would make the yarn strips vertical and blend them in with the other strips.

I will have these and others available for sale at the Rosewood Holiday Art Festival, December 7th from 11am-3pm.

Behind the scenes~ I still have a lot of scraps left and I am going to try this concept with a flapper dress for a New Years Ball. I have not decided which colors I want to use but I know the entire project will be made from left over dress materials.

Thank you for reading,

Tracy McElfresh,

Dream it! Sew it!




Tracy McElfresh
Latest posts by Tracy McElfresh (see all)