Just after the Stay at Home order was served artist Mychaelyn wrote to me, complete with pictures, of a feed sack quilt and asked if it was possible to make a jacket out of it. She included some other quilted jacket photos she saw online.

I have made two other blanket coat/jackets. They were popular in the 1920s so I felt confident I could make her a jacket from her piece. Mychaelyn said she would Dryell clean the quilt and place it on my front porch with a shirt she liked that was the length and fit for a sizing reference.

Making clothing for others is a lengthy process. First I needed to draft a pattern before I even though about cutting into her quilt. I measured her shirt and found a PJ pattern from the 1940s with the same fit. Taking that PJ pattern I drafted a new pattern that had no side seams. Most blanket jackets have no sides seams and are great for large prints, plaids and projects like these.

Next, I made a muslin to have Mychaelyn fit. While making the muslin I checked the fit to her shirt every step of the way. This also makes sure there are no surprises or glitches in my pattern. Muslins make your project so much easier and do not take long to make!

Once the muslin was approved I was able to cut her jacket with my original drafted pattern. This part was really tricky. I love a good puzzle, although this was beyond that because many parts of the 70 year old quilt were shredded. I wanted perfect placement. I spent hours happily studying the quilt to figure out what the best placement would be.

I did a few small repairs on the quilting where the snaps needed to go and got lucky with the rest. I used almost every inch of the quilt.

I serged all straight of grain and cross grain pieces. That was pretty much everything except the necklines and armholes.

We added bias tape to the collar, pocket tops, sleeve ends and jacket bottom. I love how the color Mychaelyn picked really blends in so well. She truly is a great artist.

This jacket took a beautiful Sunday to make and once it was finished I sent Mychaelyn these photos.

 

I was so happy she loved it. Next was picking the snaps. I was honestly nervous about this part. Having a mistake on one snap can ruin a wonderful project.

We went with pink out of the colors I had on hand. I made a Covid19 mask as a sign of the times from some of the quilt leftovers. Little did I know two days later I would be a mask making factory.

Thank you so much Mychaelyn! If you want to see some of Mychaelyn’s art work check her out. She is amazing.

Thank you for reading,

Tracy McElfresh

Dream it! Sew it!

 

Tracy McElfresh
Latest posts by Tracy McElfresh (see all)